When Ford Performance announced plans of adding the 2019 Ford Edge ST to its lineup of specialty vehicles, it naturally piqued our interest. But we also had a few reservations as to how the engineers at Ford were going to add the level of performance we have come to expect from the ST brand to a crossover sport ute. This week the company released further details on how the Edge ST will deliver the kind of high-tech performance formerly reserved for exotic sport utility vehicles with much higher price tags.
Ford previously announced the performance Edge would come standard with all-wheel-drive and an eight-speed transmission. However, now we know that said transmission will feature an all-new Sport mode with rev-matching downshifts and unique engine braking that will provide the crossover with rapid deceleration when attacking a turn. This gives the transmission attached to the 2.7-liter twin-turbo EcoBoost V6 a specially tuned algorithm that will provide enthusiasts aggressive shift points throughout the powerband.
2019 Ford Edge ST Standard Specs
• 2.7-liter twin-turbocharged EcoBoost engine
• 335 horsepower and 380 lb-ft of torque
• Quick-shifting 8-speed automatic transmission with SelectShift manual paddle shifters
• All-wheel drive
• CoPilot 360
• 20-inch standard wheels or 21-inch optional wheels with summer performance tires
• Twin 48 mm steel piston calipers with 345x32mm damped iron rotors (front) and single 38mm steel piston calipers with 345x19mm rotors (rear)
• New Electronic Stability/Traction Control modes
These upgrades are sure to give this performance SUV an edge over the competition and provide enthusiasts with a crossover that could be your next daily driver. The Ford Edge ST will be available for purchase at the end of summer 2018 as a 2019 model. For more information on the entire lineup of Ford Performance vehicles, visit the official site here.